2012/09/12

Cheap DC power for Canon 60D

I have a small super 8mm setup with my 60D. I got sick of the battery auto power off so I bougth a small "DR-E6" (non Canon) power adapter with AC power brick for my 60D at ebay.
It was dirt cheap and i got a bit suspicious when it said 8.1V on the power brick, and i can accedently connect this thing to one of my 12V DC supplies or even a 11.1V lipo.
So i decided to open the the fake battery adapter to see if it was safe to power from other sources. Inside i found this:
Only a smothing cap 2200uF 16V. Not very safe if i connect something else than the supplied power brick.

I found this in my drawer:  LM2596 based Adjustable DC Step-Down Converter from ebay.
 
Connected it to the power and adjusted the voltage using the smal blue potmeter until it gave me 7,56V:
Loaded it with 10 Ohm power resistor (756mA) and noted that the voltage did not drop much. I also tested with a 12V DC supply and it gave the same result.
Fitted PCB in the battery shell with double sided tape and soldered on the output wires:(the polarity in the pucture turned out to be wrong! Check the polarity on a normal canon battery, i didnt :-/ )
 Put on some hot glue for isolation and cable fixing
O
 Glued togeather with super glue:
I tried it and it did not work. I measeured output voltage on the to slits in the adater and realized i had negative voltage. But the camera survied, i had to open up again and switch the powercable on the pcb. Now it works. :-)
During startup of the camera i get this choice, i have to select 'ok', after that the camera works fine.
 Here you see the cable entry of the 60D body.

 Thats it, i can now power my 60D from anything like car batteries and magicshine battery packs. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome build! I love how clean it looks!

    I was wondering if you have used your DC-to-DC adapter with video on your 60D. Do you hear any buzz or hum in your audio recordings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi friend, I have this DC, this not work with LM2596S. I connected (IN 12V 5A -> Step-Down -> OUT 8.1V -> Battery block. The camera does not turn on, the indicator is flashing low battery icon.

      Delete